Monday, August 30, 2010

tall tale

This week's theme at I *heart* faces is 'photojournalism'. The idea is to find a picture that tells a tale. I have plenty of photos that speak to my heart, but this is a recent one that I really love:



The thing about it is, I think the story it likely tells is so very, very different from the truth.

This is my boy on his first day of 3rd grade (see previous post for details). Looking at this particular photo, you might sense a tale of sadness or at least insecurity. Perhaps you would imagine a child who was tired or weary or just not acclimated to the early wake up times that come with a new school year. This photo might pull at your heart strings and make you feel sorry for the poor boy depicted.

Would you like to know the TRUE tale of this moment?

What you can't see in this photo is that the boy's foot is tapping out a mad rhythm because he is bursting with energy and finding it hard to sit still. He's been looking forward to meeting his new teacher and has heard that his very best friend will be sitting at the desk RIGHT NEXT TO HIM in class. He's making faces at the boy sitting across the hall way, each trying to make the other be the first to crack a smile. This is a very FUN moment. Just one frame in the excitement that is the first day of a new school year.

So despite the story it tells, the story this photo HIDES is what I will see each time I look at it over the years.

Now ... why don't you hop on over to and see what other stories are being told today!

8 comments:

lsquare August 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

You're right---I would have been fooled by that photo---glad you told the REAL story behind it!...

Briana August 30, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

That is great how one shot can show two different stories.

Tiffany August 30, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

Great picture, great story! Thanks for visiting us at June Makes Six:)

FYH August 30, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

Great shot! I never would have guessed the "real" story...

Unknown August 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

Great photo! Thanks for sharing the "real" story behind it.

Tezzie August 30, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

Wonderful! A perfect representation of what photography is all about...everyone has a different viewpoint of what we look at, interpreting the image based on our own unique experiences, thoughts, and impressions. Well done!

lsquare August 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

I know that I've already commented on your wonderfully ambiguous photo, but I wanted to thank you for your kind comments on my entry. I love sports photos, too. It's the first softball game I've ever shot, but it won't be my last if I can help it!...

Buckeroomama August 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

I thought he looked pretty relaxed and chilled out. :)

About This Blog

I'm a proud mom of a very active little boy. I have truly enjoyed the opportunity to document the many milestones throughout his life so far. These moments are precious to me. So I grabbed a camera and snapped away. I dabbled a bit in scrapbooking and took some time to learn at least the basics of photography. After all, kids grow so fast and you can't turn back the time.

But as he got old enough for school and team sports, I was so very disappointed in the offerings out there. I'm proud of my All Star in every thing he pours his heart into!

So I picked up a copy of Photoshop and tried my best to create momentos to capture these memories.

I'd love a chance to help you stop time for a moment as well.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP